Skip to main content

Hitting the Trails.

Alright, so we've been in this cute little town home of ours for a few weeks now. I have yet to post any real photos of it and that's for two reasons, the first is that obviously life has been crazy busy and second is that we don't have grass yet, and everything still feels kind of dirty, on the outside at least. You'll get a tour later, because it's adorable!

One of the things I was most excited to unpack when we arrived was my bike, which upon first real ride out in the wide wide world promptly got a flat. Fixing that as soon as I possibly could, I finally got my loooong ride on the trails I've been dying to get back on and as I rode I started putting the dots together and discovering some new and old places that I love and connecting them all on my internal map. A real map is nice, but sometimes the adventure of putting it all together yourself is way more fun.

Just this morning I took a walk with the kids to see what else we could find. Thinking we would just catch the views of the lake while getting some fresh air and exercise on the trail that runs along Redwood rd. we instead stumbled upon a little back alley trail that actually connects to our neighborhood and, get this, goes right to the lake! It did take some exploration because it kind of starts and stops as it winds through the houses neighboring our subdivision, but it ends with a grand view of the entire lake and all of Utah Valley, with a connecting trail that you can walk on behind the houses that border the lake. It's maybe a ten minute walk from our front door.
Now, we don't live by the best lake in the world, and not because Utah Lake has been notoriously dubbed as "dirty" which it actually isn't, we learned a lot about the lake and why it looks that way when we did our sailing lessons a couple of years back, but with that being said there are still an unholy amount of insects, mainly mosquitoes, and the yearly algae bloom of death. So, umm... yeah. Gross.
Still, it's gorgeous and if you go at the right time of day, you won't be eaten alive. I think some bug spray would go a long way for us though.

So far I have no regrets and am loving this life of ours more and more every day.








These trails were what inspired the entire downsizing movement for our family, and I'm so happy that it's these trails we can come home to every day.

Utah lake has been a huge backdrop in my life all growing up, and even in my marriage, so I'm really happy to be as close as I am to it now, despite the bugs and such. Somehow it fills me up, inspires me, and heals my heart just a little more each time I see it.

And now the big question... Where to next?!
That's going to be fun to answer!

Comments