Skip to main content

Hitting the Trails.

Alright, so we've been in this cute little town home of ours for a few weeks now. I have yet to post any real photos of it and that's for two reasons, the first is that obviously life has been crazy busy and second is that we don't have grass yet, and everything still feels kind of dirty, on the outside at least. You'll get a tour later, because it's adorable!

One of the things I was most excited to unpack when we arrived was my bike, which upon first real ride out in the wide wide world promptly got a flat. Fixing that as soon as I possibly could, I finally got my loooong ride on the trails I've been dying to get back on and as I rode I started putting the dots together and discovering some new and old places that I love and connecting them all on my internal map. A real map is nice, but sometimes the adventure of putting it all together yourself is way more fun.

Just this morning I took a walk with the kids to see what else we could find. Thinking we would just catch the views of the lake while getting some fresh air and exercise on the trail that runs along Redwood rd. we instead stumbled upon a little back alley trail that actually connects to our neighborhood and, get this, goes right to the lake! It did take some exploration because it kind of starts and stops as it winds through the houses neighboring our subdivision, but it ends with a grand view of the entire lake and all of Utah Valley, with a connecting trail that you can walk on behind the houses that border the lake. It's maybe a ten minute walk from our front door.
Now, we don't live by the best lake in the world, and not because Utah Lake has been notoriously dubbed as "dirty" which it actually isn't, we learned a lot about the lake and why it looks that way when we did our sailing lessons a couple of years back, but with that being said there are still an unholy amount of insects, mainly mosquitoes, and the yearly algae bloom of death. So, umm... yeah. Gross.
Still, it's gorgeous and if you go at the right time of day, you won't be eaten alive. I think some bug spray would go a long way for us though.

So far I have no regrets and am loving this life of ours more and more every day.








These trails were what inspired the entire downsizing movement for our family, and I'm so happy that it's these trails we can come home to every day.

Utah lake has been a huge backdrop in my life all growing up, and even in my marriage, so I'm really happy to be as close as I am to it now, despite the bugs and such. Somehow it fills me up, inspires me, and heals my heart just a little more each time I see it.

And now the big question... Where to next?!
That's going to be fun to answer!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resolution Time!

Yay! My favorite time of year! Actually that's a lie, that would be summer, and we all know it, but I do love this time of year for two reasons: 1- The end of the holidays. The older I get, the more of a scrooge I become, but not a scroogy-scrooge in the sense of ruining holidays for everyone around me, I actually love the people in my life, immensely, but in the sense that the commercialized holiday, our waste as a nation, and the things people seem to find important this time of year... well, I just don't see eye to eye with all of you holiday junkies. #sorrynotsorry 2- Resolution Time! YES! This isn't about one-upping my fellow human being, but bettering my overall perspective on life as a human being myself. Oh, and there's a bonus third thing... 3- SPRING TIME IS COMING!!!!!!! The other better time of year! Flowers!!! All the flowers!!! So, I'm bringing the blog back, but not in any official capacity, and I make no guarantees that I'll stick with it o...

Animal Kingdom's Kidani Village

The lodge we stayed at in Animal Kingdom was one of the coolest things I have ever experienced. Truly a once in a lifetime experience for this little family.  We stayed in Kidani Village . We were able to use our fast pass wrist bands to get in and out of our hotel, as well as in and out of the parks. The kids thought that was pretty awesome and fought over who got to open the doors.  Our room was amazing, a little apartment/condo. Kitchen, two bedrooms, balcony all across the back connecting all of the rooms. Incredibly beautiful! I felt right at home there, which means I probably have expensive taste, but let's just say it's because it's cozy and inviting.  Shawn and I agreed that our favorite day of the entire 10 day trip was the day it rained all day, with lightening and thunder, and we sat on the balcony with mugs of coffee watching the zebra get scared and run around after each lightening strike. That's what made this truly incredible to experience.  I...